I will refrain from writing my version of War and Peace before this recipe. I wanted to make marshmallow crispy treats from homemade marshmallows. I figured out you can skip the whole section where you have to let the marshmallow mixture set and instead immediately use it to make the cereal treats. The marshmallow mixture is awesome because it doesn’t use corn syrup. We used sprouted brown rice cereal, but anything you want to use works. Some of my favorites are Kix (round corn puff cereal) and Cheerios (oat o-shaped cereal). This recipe is a win all around and super tasty.
Homemade Agave Marshmallow Cereal Crispy Treats
Homemade Agave Marshmallow
- 28 g unflavored gelatin powder
- 90 g cold water
- 334 g agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
Cereal Crispy Treats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8-10 cups cereal of choice
- Spray an 8 x 8-inch pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper for easy removal later.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. The butter will melt, then foam, and then start to turn golden as the solids on the bottom of the pan take on color. When the butter is golden brown and smells nutty, remove it from the heat and stir in the salt.
- Combine the cold water and gelatin in a small microwavable bowl. The gelatin should bloom, and the mixture should become a hard rubbery mass.
- Place the agave nectar in a small saucepan (1-2 quart). Add a candy thermometer to the pan and place over medium heat. Bring the agave to a boil. Remove from the heat when the temperature reaches 115ºC.
- Microwave the water and gelatin mixture for 30 seconds. The gelatin should now be liquid again. Add the gelatin mixture to a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
- Turn the stand mixer on low speed and carefully pour in the hot agave syrup. The temperature of the syrup should still be around 112-115ºC.
- Increase the mixer speed to high and mix for approximately 8 minutes or until the marshmallows are thick, shiny, and voluminous. The outside of the mixing bowl will also no longer be hot but closer to room temperature.
- Add the vanilla paste and whisk for 1 more minute until combined.
- Scoop the marshmallow into the large pot containing the brown butter and place back on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir until everything is melted, homogenous, and smooth.
- Stir in the cereal until well combined.
- Spread into the prepared pan and level the top. Let sit for several hours until completely cooled.
- Remove from the pan and cut into the desired size of squares.
Leave a Reply