It is that time of year that I crave soup for dinner. Here’s a classic we all grew up with, tomato soup with grilled cheese. I love the creamy version of the classic tomato soup.
Cream of Tomato Soup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes in juice or puree
- pinch of baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, dried basil, and ground cloves.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then add the tomatoes and their juice, baking soda, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Let cool briefly, then puree in a blender until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot, add the milk, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- If the soup is too thick, thin it with additional stock.
- Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
We can our own tomatoes each summer so we use one quart jar of tomatoes in place of the two 15-ounce cans from the store. Homemade canned tomatoes are far better than store-bought tomatoes. Here’s how to can tomatoes: https://handmadephd.com/2016/08/25/tomatoes-canning-whole/