For any hectic week when you need a delicious chicken dinner, this is the recipe to make! I was away from home this week and needed to make a nice hearty dinner. Luckily I had my slow-cooker!
Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
For the Pot Pie
- 3/4 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10 ounces frozen sweet peas
For the Biscuits
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a slow-cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion, and flour.
- Place the chicken on top and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the wine and 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add the peas and heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Cover and cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Thirty minutes before serving, prepare the biscuits.
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- In a food processor or with your hands, combine the flour, butter, baking powder, and salt until pea-size clumps form.
- Add the whole milk and just combine until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Drop 6 large mounds of the dough onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the chicken stew over the biscuits in a shallow bowl or half the biscuits.
- Add 8 ounces of chopped mushrooms to the chicken stew at the first step with the carrots, celery, onions, etc.
- Replace 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth.