Have you ever met someone who doesn’t like a donut? I grew up with some of the BEST donuts in the world and besides the year that I lived in Sacramento, I’ve seriously not had a donut since I moved from Indiana over 15 years ago! What a shame. So I have about 24 jars of homemade unsweetened applesauce and was wondering how I could use up some of this applesauce. I love my muffins and all, but they get old, quick. Insert a new fun recipe, applesauce muffins. Super easy to make and surprisingly moist and delicious. I was dubious about the recipe, but it worked and tastes great. All you need is an oven and some doughnut pans. You can find the Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity Doughnut Pan just about anywhere: Amazon.com, Bed Bath & Beyond, Jo-Ann’s, Sur la Table…
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (experiment here)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
- 4 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (or if you live near 5,000 ft add 5º, so 355ºF).
- Whisk together egg, milk, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together until smooth.
- Spoon batter into doughnut baking pan, which should fill almost to the top.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool in pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, applesauce, and ONE teaspoon water. If mixture is too dry to mix in all the sugar, continue adding water ONE teaspoon at a time just until a thick glaze forms.
- Dip the top of each donut into the glaze and allow to rest about 15 minutes to let the glaze set before serving.
- Eat immediately!
- You can also use 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat flour instead. <a href=”http://wearychef.com/glazed-applesauce-donut-recipe/” target=”_blank”>Recipe adapted from the Weary Chef.</a>