I am sharing my progress for May early since I will be occupied with packing for an upcoming vacation and won’t have time to work on sewing or knitting projects. I am thrilled with the results of this month’s recap because I have fully automated the process. I taught myself how to draw SVG images using Python, which allows me to generate all images, including the title figure and non-graphic images, automatically. The only downside is that I couldn’t use the XKCD font and had to move to a Google Font. I tried to alter the drawsvg code to allow user fonts, but it never worked.
Apart from coding, here’s what I accomplished this month. As the weather gets warmer, I usually find myself lacking the drive to sew or knit, but that’s not a problem. I have Browzwear, and I can spend the hot summer months studying fit and drape from the comfort of my dark office.
This year, I have finished a total of 37 projects. However, in May, I only managed to complete 5 projects.
Of the 5 projects, I knitted two and sewed three. Three items were for me and two were for others.
I made a pair of socks for myself and another pair for Ryan. Additionally, I sewed a top and shorts for myself and completed Ryan’s daypack. The design for the socks was self-drafted but inspired by the free sock pattern from Yarn Cafe Creation. The top and shorts I made both came from True Bias patterns, while Ryan’s daypack was based on the Zipworks pattern to some extent.
I tried a new type of yarn for my socks, specifically the Stroll brand from Knitpicks. Additionally, I sourced the fabric for my shorts and shirt from MeterMeter. As for the supplies in my daypack, I obtained them all from Ripstop by the Roll. I appreciate that I’m a colorful person and use more than just grey and brown.
The socks were obviously made with wool yarn. Meanwhile, the shirt and shorts were made from Tencel, and Ryan’s daypack was predominantly constructed from polyester fabric. In addition to the socks, my top was made with a knitted fabric as opposed to the daypack and shorts, which used woven fabrics.
This month, my expenses were low, only totaling $95.59. I purchased some dotted pattern paper from Mood Fabrics, along with a few other patterns. Unfortunately, I had to buy both size ranges of the Zoey tank and dress, which was frustrating. If you’re interested in reading about my fitting experience, feel free to check out my previous blog post. While I had intended to test out the Ogden cami and Ilford jacket, the warm weather left me feeling too drained.
I have no sewing plans, so I refrained from ordering any fabric or yarn this month. However, I am pleased to report that I used the fabric for my shorts and shirt as planned and the yarn for my socks.
I have been adhering to my goal of purchasing materials only when I have a specific project in mind and utilizing them right away. Out of the 37 projects, I have used the material for 78.4% of them within three weeks. In the current year, my average fabric consumption per sewing project is 1.5 yards, while it is 5.3 skeins for knitting projects.
Fewer completed projects, means fewer hours crafting, but again that’s OK. I spent most of my time this month knitting socks, which is always enjoyable and relaxing.
Out of the 37 projects, it has taken me on average 6 hours and 21 minutes across an average of 11 days to complete something. I typically spend 43 minutes daily on sewing and 38 minutes on knitting.
The following figures display the number of hours required to complete the project over a certain number of days. Ryan’s backpack was delayed due to waiting for items to arrive in the mail. I spent considerable time testing different methods for altering full-length pants into shorts while working on the Dani shorts. It was pretty overwhelming as I made numerous muslins. Similarly, the Zoey tank required extensive testing to ensure the pattern fit my shoulders, bust, and waist. On a different note, knitting socks is fast and rewarding because they are done in no time.
I hope your summer is off to a great start as well!
Leave a Reply