If I see another zucchini, it’ll be all too soon. One zucchini plant is crazy prolific. You wouldn’t believe the insane quantities and size of the vegetables it gives forth. At some point, you are just left standing in your garden laughing uncontrollably out of wonder and amusement. There is definitely no shortage of recipes on how to use zucchini either. You can make zucchini lasagna, zucchini fritters, zucchini noodles, zucchini chips, etc. How many varieties of zucchini bread are there? Millions, just like the number of zucchini coming out of your garden!! My zucchini bread recipe is great, because you can eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. It’s not sweet at all and is more like a good hearty bread.
Tips & Tricks
If you don’t have time to make zucchini bread, you can always wash and grate your zucchini and then freeze the zucchini in air-tight bags. When you are ready to make your zucchini bread, you simply have to pull the frozen, grated zucchini out of the freezer and place it directly into the recipe. By the time you mix everything together and place your bread in the oven, the grated zucchini has defrosted enough to cook. You may have to adjust your cooking time by only a few minutes.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used safflower)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. If needed, spray an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisky together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in grated zucchini and walnuts.
- Pour batter, carefully into prepared loaf pan and bake until deep golden brown about 50 to 60 minutes. You can check the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean, your bread is done.
- While the bread is cooling, make frosting by whisking cream cheese and butter together with an electric mixer. Mix until everything is fluffy.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined and fluffy.
- You can either frost the entire loaf of bread when ready to serve or slice bread and serve with a schmear of frosting on each slice.
- Bread and frosting refrigerate great.
Leave a Reply