Finding the perfect basic woven shirt pattern for summer wasn’t as daunting as I thought it would be. Months ago, I purchased the Butterick Pattern, B6100, because it offered separate pattern pieces for A/B, C and D cup sizes. I can’t believe I’ve waited until now to try this pattern!
I know there are a lot of basic woven shirt patterns out there and many people love Grainline Studio’s Scout Tee. However, I wanted something with custom cup sizes and was form fitting without being too blousy or too tight. I tried the Scout Tee (I wish I would have kept my muslin so I could’ve taken pictures), but like most Grainline patterns it was too tight across the shoulders and WAY too blousy around the waist. The Scout Tee just didn’t fit well and I really disliked that it has NO bust darts. Instead of trying to do major adjustments to the Scout Tee, I decided it would be easier to just try different patterns. I wasn’t motivated to make major alterations to such a simple pattern.
When I cut out the Butterick pattern, I made only two alterations. First, I did a ½” forward shoulder alteration. Second, I scooped out the front neckline a bit more. Otherwise, I cut the pattern out exactly.
As far as construction, I ignored the pattern instructions and did a simple bias binding around the neckline. I think the Butterick pattern includes a facing. If it does, I’ve clearly ignored it. My bias binding looks great and I love how it turned out.
I’m happy with the fit as it is. I could probably do a better job on fitting the back piece, but frankly, I think it’s fine for a basic shirt. I don’t look like I’m wearing a tent. The shirt is comfortable.